Chocolate Chip Pretzel Peanut Butter Cookies– wow– say that a few times fast 🙂 ! These are a new take on one of my favorite cookies, Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies. One day it just came to me to try to add the same chocolate chip and pretzel combination to a peanut butter cookie. I mean what’s better than chocolate and pretzels? Maybe chocolate, pretzels and peanut butter!
So I baked and baked and baked and tweaked my old peanut butter cookie recipe until I came up with this one. I wanted my peanut butter cookie to be soft, not crispy, and I didn’t want it to be crumbly and fall apart after a day. I also wanted the peanut butter flavor to shine through. So it took me a bit to figure a good ratio of ingredients. My kids were sure happy having dozens of cookies around to test!
The next challenge was getting the right amount of chocolate chips and pretzels. The amount I put in the chocolate chip pretzel cookies was too much and over powered the peanut butter flavor. So I cut back on those ingredients quite a bit and it worked. The result is just the right amounts of the chocolate, peanut butter and pretzel flavors coming through. These cookies also don’t crumble apart after a day of storage and keep well for a few days in an airtight container, or longer in the freezer- that’s if they make it that far!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp of milk (or half and half or cream)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (or to amp up peanut butter flavor do a mix of chocolate and peanut butter chips!)
- 1 1/2 cups of pretzel sticks broken into pieces (larger pieces- each stick into 3 pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350°, line baking sheets with parchment or silicone mat
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat butter, peanut butter, and sugars until well combined and fluffy
- Add egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy (really beat well here)
- Add in flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and pretzels just until incorporated.
- Using a Tablespoon cookie scoop or a heaping Tablespoon, scoop and drop cookie dough onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8-11 min, watching closely, until edges are just beginning to brown. Do not over bake (or you will get a crispy cookie)- they will still be soft in the middle.
- If you only have salted butter just decrease the salt to 1/4 tsp
- Cooking times can vary by oven, so just keep a close eye on them (especially in the last few minutes).