Here is a quick easy mix that can replace those little taco seasoning packets.
I have been trying to cut back on using seasoning packets due to the added preservatives and ingredients in them. Making your own mix can save money and also allow you to control the quality of ingredients and amount of salt you are using.
This is really easy and quick to do. You just mix up a large batch ahead of time and then have it on hand when you need it. Please note there is no salt added in this recipe, so add salt to taste when using this in your cooking.
- 4 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 Tbsp plus 1 tsp paprika
- 3 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder (I usually use 2 because we love garlic)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional or adjust amount to heat preference)
- Combine all ingredients in a container that has a tight fitting lid and mix to combine.
- Store until ready to use
- When using to make taco meat- Cook 1 lb of ground beef or chicken (drain if desired) and then add 1 cup of water and 2 heaping Tbsp of taco seasoning mix and salt to taste. Simmer until most of the water is evaporated.