I am going to warn you now….. These oats are meant to be used as a topping for yogurt or apples or ice cream, etc. However, I make no guarantee you will not be overwhelmed with the urge to eat them by the spoonful or pick at them all day! These unique oats are crispy, buttery and sweet- absolutely amazing.
These oats have taken my oatmeal breakfast back to not-boring. Yes, I adore my steel cut oats (especially with this easy preparation method), but, it does get boring after a while even with different add ins. Sprinkle some of these caramelized oats on top and, wow, the crunchy sweetness it adds just takes it over the top. Add these to yogurt and it does the same- way better than granola! Take a sliced apple, dip in peanut butter then dip in some of these, Yum! O.k., I know I sound addicted, but try them and see- I am sure you will think of several ways to use them. Why not on top of some baked or sauteed pears or apples?
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1 cup of Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- Preheat oven to 325° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine butter, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Melt butter over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in oats. Pour mixture onto prepared baking sheet and spread out with a spatula
- Place in oven and cook for 10 minutes. Stir oats, then continue to bake for an additional 7-9 minutes or until golden brown. Watch closely towards end of cooking time so they don't burn.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheet. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.