This is an amazing dip that can be thrown together in all of ten minutes! Although, I wouldn’t quite classify it as a dip, more of a topping. It is a wonderful combination of salty olive salad, salami and cheese -reminiscent of the classic muffuletta sandwich. I came across this in search for something new to try for my Christmas Eve party and I have been addicted ever since. It can be made a day or two ahead of time and tastes even better after the flavors have a chance to blend. This was a mistake for me though, because I kept sneaking little bowls of it- so much that I had to replenish what I had eaten!
I made a couple of changes to the original recipe. I added some chopped red onion into the mix and used a combination of fresh mozzarella and provolone for the cubed cheese. Originally, I followed the recipe and used french bread crostini, but found most not liking the crispier bread with it. It is actually delicious with a thinly sliced baguette bread or on crackers (or by the spoonful if you ask me 🙂 ). This would make a great addition to any New Years Eve gathering, party or for game day.
- 1 cup Italian olive salad, drained
- 1 cup diced salami (about 4 oz)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoncini salad peppers
- 1 (2 1/4-oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, diced (can also use fresh mozzarella or a mix of both)
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Stir together all ingredients. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours before serving.
- Serve with sliced baguettes and/or crackers. Store leftovers in refrigerator up to 5 days.