Yet another conquest completed………. to find a recipe to make a homemade version of a previously store bought item……… Yellow cupcakes, the perfect accompaniment to chocolate frosting. There is just something amazing about a simple yellow cupcake topped with chocolate frosting that can’t be beat. And here is an awesome homemade yellow cupcake recipe. This is way better than any boxed mixed and is sooooo incredibly easy you will wonder why a boxed mix was ever needed! It’s made in just a few short minutes in one mixing bowl.
These yellow cupcakes are very soft, moist and fluffy and are perfect for any birthday cupcake (or anytime if you ask me). The recipe is for 12 cupcakes but it can be easily doubled for 24. The only change I made was to add a little more moisture with some milk. I like my cupcakes soft and this addition worked for me but feel free to leave it out if you wish. The chocolate frosting you see in the pictures is one of my favorite and is smooth silky and delicious- the recipe will be posted in a few days so check back soon for it cause it is one you will want to have!
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar (7 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp of milk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Briefly mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment (or in a mixing bowl if using a hand mixer).
- Add butter, sour cream, milk, egg and egg yolks, and vanilla; beat at medium speed until smooth, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and mix by hand until smooth, making sure all flour is completely mixed in.
- Divide batter evenly among the 12 cups of prepared tin using level ice cream scoop (you will have to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to get that 12th cupcake)
- Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool in pan until you can handle them. You may have to gently run a knife around each cupcake if they are sticking and transfer them to wire rack; cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- These store well in an airtight container at room temperature for several days