I have been meaning to share these lovelies for a couple years. It has never worked out where I have had enough time to take pictures before having to package them up as Christmas treats. But I figured, what better time than Valentines Day to share! They would make a great gift or treats.
These are so amazing and relatively simple, i.e.- no baking involved. Just mix peanut butter, powdered sugar, butter and pretzels- roll, freeze and then they take a dip in melted chocolate. This leads me to my discovery of the year lol. I hate tempering chocolate, I’m not great at it. And I don’t like using “candy melts” as they seem like fake chocolate to me lol. Then entered into my life these- Ghirardelli chocolate wafers!
This is really good melting chocolate, no tempering involved and works great. They hardened beautifully and held up really well. And, no, I’m not getting paid to say this- this is purely my opinion lol. Btw they are much cheaper at the local stores then on amazon. I hope you enjoy these as much as we have!!
- 1 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/2 Cup plus 2 Tbsp Confectioners' Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Butter, softened
- 2 Cups Pretzels, coarsely crushed
- 12 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or Ghirardelli melting wafers-recommended)
- 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 4 to 6 Tbsp confectioners' sugar
- In a medium bowl, stir together peanut butter, confectioners' sugar and butter until uniform and combined. Stir in pretzels. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. This will be messy- you will have to wash your hands frequently. I found using damp (not dripping) hands to smooth them works well. Place in freezer for at least 30 minutes prior to dipping. I have left them for several days without a problem.
- Place chocolate in a heat proof bowl set over a pan with a couple inches of simmering water. Heat, while stirring, until melted and smooth.
- Alternately- heat chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave at 50% power in 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Dip the frozen peanut butter pretzel balls into the melted chocolate- I rest them on top of a fork (not piercing) and dip them. Allow excess chocolate to drip off and place back on parchment paper. Allow to chill in refrigerator until set.
- Stir together peanut butter and milk in small microwave safe bowl. Heat briefly, to warm, for about 15 seconds in microwave. Stir in confectioners' sugar. Add additional confectioners sugar until good drizzling consistency. Drizzle over the chilled truffles. Allow to set in refrigerator prior to packaging.