This has been a busy summer- 4 kids home from school, the youngest with a broken leg and now physical therapy to learn to walk again, my garden, housework, baking……. the list goes on and on. Some days I don’t think I even sit until bedtime. I think this has been evident with the fewer posts I have been able to get up. Lots has been going on in my kitchen, I just haven’t had time to share it! Well, here is a recipe I have been grateful for during these busy days. These layered bean jars can be made ahead of time and are ready to go for a quick snack or side dish. They have even been my lunch on several occasions. I usually make up a bunch and keep them in the fridge for the week. Even my older kids love them.
They are pretty, simple and the only cooking involved is the green beans. You can layer them however you want or even change up the ingredients. Don’t like red onions then use green or skip them all together. They look really pretty with both yellow and green beans, but use what you have, all green or all yellow would work great too. To top it off they are super healthy and full of fiber and protein. You really can’t go wrong. I always make them in the jars because I think it’s cute and I like the single serving size but I am sure you could layer it in a bowl if you wish. I like to use this homemade italian dressing but you can use your own recipe or store bought for added convenience.
- 1/2 pound of green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 pound of yellow beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces (can use additional green beans instead)
- 1 can (15 or 16 oz) of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup of finely chopped red onions
- 1 can (15 or 16 oz) of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (4 oz) feta cheese
- 1/2 cup of Italian dressing (homemade or store bought)
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil or parsley
- Cook green and yellow beans in boiling water for 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp tender. If you want to keep them separate for the layers boil them in 2 different pans or in the same pan at separate times- I just boil them at the same time and then separate. Drain and rinse in cold water, allow to drain again.
- In 12 half pint (8oz) canning jars; Layer the kidney beans, yellow beans, tomatoes, onions, green beans, chickpeas and feta.
- Mix the Italian dressing and chopped basil or parsley in another jar with lid. If serving right away, shake dressing and drizzle over jars. Or reserve dressing and drizzle before serving.
- I keep this in the fridge for the week for a quick lunch or snack.