I have always loved jello when my digestive system is off- from a stomach bug or whatever. Of course, I sadly gave this up when I cut the dyes, artificial flavors and other nasty ingredients out of our diets. Then, recently, I came down with a serious digestive problem where I was only allowed liquids and then soft foods for a couple weeks. I was craving jello so bad but couldn’t bring myself to eat the stuff from a box. My friend came to the rescue with a container of Kosher Gelatin and the internet came to the rescue with a simple jello recipe made with juice and gelatin. And you know what? It’s delicious and actually easier to make than the boxed stuff- who knew? My kids are thrilled to be able to have jello again (and so am I 🙂 ) and it’s actually a relatively healthy treat for them.
All you need is Kosher Gelatin and some juice of your choice- It’s best to use juice with no added sugars. If you want it a little sweeter you can just stir in some honey or sugar to taste. One batch I made, I even used some lemonade made with fresh lemons- it was delicious! From now on I will definitely keep Gelatin on hand to use for a great snack or when the stomach bug strikes. You can even use it to make jello for a poke cake or other desserts that use jello.
- 1 3/4 Cup of 100% Juice, divided
- 1/4 Cup of Boiled Water
- 1 Tbsp good quality Kosher Gelatin
- In a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle the tablespoon of gelatin over 1/4 cup of the fruit juice (cool or room temperature). Whisk until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Whisk in the 1/4 cup of hot boiled water, and whisk until completely dissolved (about a minute)
- Add in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of fruit juice, and mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan (you can lightly grease or line with parchment paper to prevent sticking)
- Place in fridge until set-- this took just about an hour to be soft set.
- Slice into squares or use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. Store leftovers in the fridge.
- If you want to add sweetener, just stir in honey or sugar to taste with the juice.
- You can also use water mixed with fresh squeezed lemon juice and a sweetener to get lemon jello- just mix to taste!