This is the best coleslaw ever and this is coming from a huge fan of creamy mayonnaise based coleslaw. This coleslaw is clean and fresh tasting with just the right amount of sweet and tart to it. It is super versatile and is great as a side dish or as a topping. We love it on pork sandwiches or fish tacos. Even Better, this can be used as a dip for tortilla chips- Amazing! This makes it a great appetizer or snack and a great dish to bring to a get together. It comes together quickly and keeps in the fridge for a few days so you can have it anytime.
I got the idea for this recipe at a ladies tea for my church. One of the other ladies brought it as a dip and served it with tortilla chips- I was addicted. I came home and looked for a similar recipe online and came up short. Nothing even came close, so I figured it out on my own and came up with this recipe that we love! I sometimes use pre-packaged coleslaw mix to make it super easy but you can also shred up some cabbage and carrots to make your own mix. I like putting green peppers and tomatoes in it, but feel free to customize to your liking- I am sure some different veggies would be great too!
- 1 pound bag of coleslaw mix or finely shred your own cabbage/carrots (around 7 cups total)
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped (I used vine ripe but use what you have)
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 Tbsp of lime juice (this has taken 2 limes for me)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 generous Tbsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt (I sometimes use up to 1 tsp here to taste)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Additional salt, pepper, and sugar to taste
- Mix the coleslaw mix (or shredded cabbage/carrots), pepper, tomato, onion and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, rice vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper until sugar is dissolved and well combined.
- Pour over coleslaw mixture and mix until thoroughly coated. Add additional seasonings to taste.