Seasoned chicken breasts smothered in buttery mushrooms and onions, served topped generously with melted mozzarella cheese. Mmmm!
This amazing one skillet chicken dish has been in our family dinner rotation for a few years. It is one I turn to often because it is super quick and easy to make. And we don’t repeat dinners very often, so this says a lot! With only a few simple ingredients, minimal preparation, and about 30 minutes- this chicken turns out absolutely delicious. I only changed a few things up from the original recipe. The original recipe doesn’t call for seasoning the chicken and calls for shallots instead of onions. I always season my chicken breasts because I like them to have some flavor and I usually don’t have shallots on hand, so I swapped them out for an onion. I also upped the cheese a little (because isn’t more cheese always better!).
I did my best to give exact measurements on seasoning because, honestly, I do not measure. I just sprinkle it on until it seems right. I know everyone has different taste preferences or dietary restrictions, so honestly just season to your preference. Also feel free to swap out the mozzarella cheese for a smoked cheese, monterey jack, or even swiss cheese. We just made it with smoked swiss cheese and it was amazing! Or, if you are a garlic lover, throw a few minced garlic cloves in while cooking the mushroom mixture. It’s great served with rice or potatoes and a veggie.
Hope your family enjoys this as much as mine does!
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves- about 6-8 oz each (either use very small chicken breast or fillet large, thicker ones in half)
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste for chicken plus about 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper for mushroom mixture (I use about 3/4 to 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and 1/4 tsp pepper for the chicken)
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
- Season both sides of chicken breast with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 min.
- Add chicken, nestle it in the mushroom mixture so it makes contact with the pan. Cook 7-10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Continue to stir mushrooms occasionally.
- Remove chicken to a platter, sprinkle cheese on chicken and place mushroom mixture on top. Allow to sit a few minutes for cheese to melt. To serve from pan (less dishes)- Once chicken is cooked, sprinkle it with shredded cheese while still in skillet. Turn off heat and let cheese melt.
- This is amazing with a smoked cheese too!
- You can always loosely tent the pan with foil once you flip the chicken over- helps make chicken cook through a little quicker and makes the dish a little "saucier"