Sorry this post took more than a couple of days since I posted the perfect yellow cupcake recipe…. but our house got hit hard with the stomach bug this week. So, needless to say, I have spent the past several days caring for sick kids (and myself), doing laundry and cleaning. Even more reason to be extra happy I found this homemade jello recipe!
Enough of that awfulness— This chocolate frosting has been a favorite of mine for some time now. It is smooth, delicious, and not overly sweet at all. It has a a great chocolate flavor that comes from cocoa powder and melted chocolate. The thing that sets this chocolate frosting recipe apart from the rest is the generous addition of sour cream. The sour cream just gives it an amazing flavor and I just adore this frosting. It goes perfect on cake or cupcakes. I have used it on both these delicious yellow cupcakes and chocolate cupcakes.
For those of you that like to do the fancy swirls and decorating, it holds it shape very well at room temperature. This recipe makes quite a bit of frosting, but I don’t think leftovers will go to waste. Use on graham crackers, for a pretzel dip or eat by the spoonful! I made half a recipe for decorating 12 cupcakes. I did the swirl like in the picture and probably only had a 1/2 to 3/4 cup leftover, so not too much extra. I encourage you to give this frosting a try- it is delicious!!
- 14 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature (original calls for 9 oz but I always have the 8 oz blocks and it works fine!)
- 9 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups confectionery sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp sour cream
- Melt the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over a pot with an inch of simmering water. Or alternately, carefully melt in microwave on half power checking every 30 seconds. Cool until just barely warm. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium-high speed until its fluffy and light. This should take about 3 to 4 minutes. Slowly beat in the confectionery sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Add the melted, cooled chocolate and beat until combined. Add the sour cream and beat until the mixture fully mixed and well blended.