The last couple of summers I have been blessed with an abundance of cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes from our garden, and have had to get creative to use them up. Combining these veggies in a salad with avocados is one recipe that really worked and quickly became one of our favorite salads and a great alternative to the traditional lettuce salad. It is so delicious and healthy and colorful- even the kids love it and that is a huge plus in our house! This bright avocado salad is very simple and you can easily adjust the ingredients to your liking or family size.
Basically you just cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and peppers and you toss this mixture with some Italian dressing and Parmesan cheese (this Homemade Italian Dressing works great). The salad can be made in advance up until this point–then just peel, cube and add your avocado right before serving so it doesn’t brown. You can also be creative and use different colored peppers, fresh basil, or use some feta or cubed sharp or mozzarella cheese. This healthy salad makes a great presentation and is a great addition to just about any meal. I hope your family loves it as much as mine 🙂 .
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved or 2 medium tomatoes cut into large bite sized pieces
- 1 green pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced or 1/2 of a large English cucumber sliced thin
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing (enough to thoroughly coat salad)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 avocados peeled and cut into cubes
- Mix tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and onions in a large bowl. Stir in Italian dressing and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Use right away or refrigerate until ready to serve. Stir in the cubed avocados right before serving.
- This is a great starting point- change it to what you like.....extra cucumbers, cubed cheese, etc. I have also only used 1 avocado and it still tastes great.