If it were up to my oldest son, every food would be on the family favorite list at our house. Most dinners he sits down and says, “ooh, my favorite”. He hasn’t met too many foods that he does not like. But this is truly a family favorite.
This is a bread that I turn to when I haven’t had the time or haven’t been home to spend the day making bread for dinner. This one can be done from start to finish in about an hour (much less actual hands on time). It is absolutely wonderful and tastes like you really fussed.
This bread goes great with just about any dinner. It’s an awesome accompaniment to soup, including this Hearty Sausage Vegetable Soup . It works great as an appetizer and I have even used it as a quick pizza when my husband has been away.
Here is the recipe- Give it a try and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as we have!
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Dash of pepper
- (Or 2 tsp Italian seasoning mixed with the garlic and salt and pepper)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or in a large bowl add flour, yeast, sugar, salt, warm water and oil.
- Turn on mixer and mix until dough begins to forms, then switch to dough hook and knead until dough is soft, smooth and elastic(3-5min). Alternately: stir (or use a hand mixer) to mix together the ingredients in the large bowl until the dough begins to form. Turn out on a floured surface and knead by hand, a few minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place in lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Lightly oil 2- 9 inch round pans with olive oil. Punch down dough and divide into 2 equal pieces.
- Press out and spread one piece of dough in each pan. ( if it shrinks back just cover and let rest a couple of minutes and try again). Brush with italian dressing.
- Combine the remaining seasonings and sprinkle evenly over the tops
- Sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- You can make or cut these into any shape you want- we make them into breadsticks sometimes.
- The leftovers (if any) can be stored, covered, in the fridge and reheated in a 350 degree oven for several minutes- they still taste great!