Here is an exceptional way to make boneless chicken breast any night of the week. This dish is simple enough for a work night and special enough to feed guests. Seared chicken breasts with mushrooms in a creamy Marsala wine sauce with Gorgonzola cheese added- Yum! The cheese is not overpowering in this- even my kids will eat it. This dish has been a hit since I first made it over a year ago. I think the first time I made it, I personally cleaned the leftover sauce out of the pan- none went down the drain- it is so good!
Don’t use the Marsala “cooking” wine you find in the basic grocery store- way too salty. Get a small bottle of actual Marsala wine. Just a cheap bottle- I think I paid around five dollars for the bottle I have and it has lasted for a while. And don’t over cook the chicken or it will be dry. If your not good at judging if it’s done (I’m not) use a meat thermometer and it’s done at 165-170 degrees.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp of butter (or additional olive oil)
- 8 oz sliced baby portobello mushrooms (white mushrooms work fine too)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional but good)
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, divided (add more to taste at end)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional for garnish)
- Season chicken well with salt and pepper on both sides
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove and cover with foil keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add butter (or additional oil), mushrooms and onions (if using) and saute until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by a third.
- Stir in cream and about another 1/4 tsp of salt. Return to a boil; cook until slightly thickened. Add 1/3 cup cheese and cook until cheese is melted. (you can recheck for seasoning at this time and adjust salt and pepper level of sauce)
- Return chicken to pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and garnish with fresh parsley.