This cowboy spaghetti has quickly become a family favorite. And to be honest, it’s one of this cook’s favorites too, since it is super easy and quick to make with simple ingredients. I am one who, more often then not, puts a lot of time into every day dinner preparation, but I sure have come to appreciate quick dinners, especially ones that taste this good!
This is not traditional spaghetti with meat sauce or anything. It has a totally different flare with bacon, fire roasted tomatoes and a slight kick from hot sauce (don’t worry not too much- my little ones love it). Topped with green onions (a personal favorite) and cheddar cheese, you really can’t go wrong.
I only made a couple of minor changes to the recipe, one being to add a touch of sugar. I feel sugar really brings out tomato flavor and usually add it to anything tomato sauce based. Definitely give this one a try!! It really is a great recipe- quick enough for a work night and even good enough to share with company!!!
- 16 oz of uncooked spaghetti
- 1/2 pound of Bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound lean Ground Beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 generous tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 teaspoons of hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup of beef stock
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced/chopped fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- 8 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 or 5 green onions, chopped
- Cook pasta in salted water to al dente, according to the package directions. Drain.
- Preheat a large skillet (or dutch oven if you don't have a large enough skillet) over medium high heat. Cook bacon until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Drain all but 1 to 2 Tablespoons of bacon drippings from pan.
- Return pan to heat and cook ground beef in reserved drippings until browned. Use your spoon to break the beef into small pieces as you cook it. Once browned, stir in onions and garlic and cook until they are soft. At this point, season to taste with some salt and pepper.
- Stir in the Worcestershire Sauce, hot sauce and beef stock and allow to heat through a few minutes while stirring and scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add in the tomato sauce,fire roasted tomatoes and sugar and stir to combine. Allow this to completely heat through then once again check seasonings. Add additional salt, pepper or even hot sauce to taste.
- Add in the cooked and drained spaghetti and about half the bacon to the sauce and mix together.
- Top each serving with cheddar cheese, green onions and remaining bacon. Enjoy!!