I have had these cookies bookmarked for some time now and finally got around to making them. It seems my “wish list” of recipes to make is ever expanding and sometimes things get pushed to the wayside. I am ever so happy that these finally made it to the top of the list. I have made them several times since because they are amazing!
It’s a wonderful shortbread based cookie with swirls of cinnamon sugar. Then you drizzle icing over the top when they are cooled (that’s if they make it that long!). I had to guard this batch from my family so I could get some pictures!
The easiest way I found to roll the dough out is between two pieces of waxed paper. Then once you spread the filling on the cookie you can take off the top piece of paper and use the bottom one to pull the dough into a roll. That way no sticking.
Even though they look more complicated, these cookies come together very quickly. So make them today and I guarantee they will not last long!
- For the Cookie Dough
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream together the powdered sugar, butter, salt and vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix on low speed until the dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment or waxed paper and shape into a rough rectangle. Place another piece of parchment or waxed paper on top of dough and roll out into a 9x12 inch rectangle.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg white with water and brush on the surface of the rolled dough.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it all evenly over the dough.
- Starting with the long end, roll the dough into a log, pressing the edge to seal. Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze until firm. (alternately refrigerate until firm- it just takes longer)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat
- Remove the dough from the freezer and take off plastic wrap
- Cut into 1/2-inch slices with a sharp knife and place on baking sheets
- Bake the cookies 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool
- In a small bowl mix together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla (optional) until smooth and desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Allow icing to harden before storing.
- If you don't have unsalted butter- I usually cut down the salt in a recipe by 1/4 tsp per stick of butter used.
- I have also refrigerated this dough overnight and baked the next morning with good results.